Wednesday, September 14, 2011

When There Are No Words

Sometimes I cannot find words to express myself. Usually this is when my feelings are the deepest and most intense, whether positive or negative. As I've read and listened to the news commemorating the anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks, I notice that others have had the same experience. "There are no words for how I feel," many people said.

I am comfortable with the language of "no words." Sometimes less is more. When tragedy strikes, I sit in stunned silence; when I am surprised by joy, I beam wordlessly. Communication is happening, it's just not out loud. I call this kind of communication, "prayer." It's my favorite kind of prayer because it's the most authentic; it's straight from my heart to God's ears. It doesn't have to make sense, it doesn't have to have the right syntax, there is no screening of thoughts and feelings. My prayer is just out there and it's fine.

Maybe you have had the same kind of experience in the last few days as you've considered the tragedy of 10 years ago. Don't worry if you can't find words, you don't need them. Use the language of "no words," and trust me, God will hear you as clearly as if you spoke the words with the most eloquent language.