Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Great Blue Heron

I have an outdoor fish pond, and am very familiar with predators arriving for an easy meal. Owls, Raccoons, Kingfishers and Great Blue Herons have all come to hunt. More than once, I have returned home to find a Heron standing in a tree close to my pond. (That's right, Herons will stand or roost up in trees!)

On the advice of a local pet store owner, I purchased a life-sized plastic Heron decoy and placed it close to my pond. The theory is that if a real Heron flies over the pond and sees what it thinks is a fellow bird, it will not come in for a meal. However, if it sees more than one, it will join the flock.

Fortunately, God is not a Heron! He will "fly in" for the one person or the many. Christians are not Herons, either. We also "fly in" for the one and the many, sharing nourishment for soul and body, sharing the good news of God's love. (photo courtesy flickr/jokerswild1963)